If you have a lower female voice, finding good audition songs for altos is a challenge — but it’s so worth the effort! When you have a song that fits comfortably in your vocal range, you can feel more confident in a musical theater audition. You can focus on acting choices instead of worrying about hitting the high note!
Finding the right musical theater songs for altos takes some time, especially if you’re a younger singer. That’s because many low-pitched roles in musicals are written for older performers. (Think Mame.) Plus, since “alto” is a voice classification that’s typically used only in choirs, you usually need to do a bit more legwork to figure out which songs are low enough.
That’s where we come in! These 27 Broadway songs are perfect for alto voices.
Are you a belter? You might also like 12 Alto Belt Songs
1. “Happily Ever After” from Once Upon a Mattress
2. “It’s A Perfect Relationship” Bells Are Ringing
3. “The Party Goes With You” from 35mm
35mm is an interesting, little-known musical — that means that no one else will be doing your song at an audition! Unlike a traditional staged musical theater production, it’s a concert-style show where the actors sing songs in front of a photograph. Each song tells a story that provides deeper meaning into the photo. You can read more about the show from its composer and lyricist, Ryan Scott Oliver.
4. “Cabaret” from Cabaret
When you’re looking for audition songs for altos, Cabaret is a natural fit. The leading lady, Sally Bowles, is an extremely low role — she has some of the lowest alto songs in musical theater!
5. “The Winner Takes it All” from Mamma Mia!
6. “If I Met Myself Again” from Everybody’s Talking About Jamie
7. “You Learn to Live Without” from If/Then
8. “Times Are Hard for Dreamers” from Amelie
9. “In My Own Little Corner” from Cinderella
10. “Ireland” from Legally Blonde
11. “When You’re Good to Mama” from Chicago
12. “There Are Worse Things I Could Do” from Grease
13. “A Trip to the Library” from She Loves Me
14. “If I Had a Fine White Horse” from The Secret Garden
15. “As Long as He Needs Me” from Oliver!
16. “I Know Things Now” from Into the Woods
17. “With Every Breath I Take” from City of Angels
18. “What Did I Ever See in Him” from Bye Bye Birdie
19. “Anything Goes” from Anything Goes
20. “All that Jazz” from Chicago
21. “My Husband Makes Movies” from Nine
22. “Watch What Happens” from Newsies
23. “I Resolve” from She Loves Me
24. “What I Did for Love” from A Chorus Line
25. “I Want the Good Things Back” from Little Mermaid
26. “Home” from Beauty and the Beast
27. “Setting Your Sights (What You Wanted)” from Vanities
Choosing Audition Songs for Altos
When you’re an alto, finding an audition song is surprisingly hard! Part of the reason is because the word “alto” really isn’t used in musical theater. It’s strictly a choral classification.. That means that even if a song has a low range, it won’t be called an alto song. Instead, it’ll probably include a voice range or it’ll be targeted to mezzo sopranos.
What’s more, it’s very uncommon for a Broadway show to have an alto in the leading role. That’s actually a great thing for you — most alto roles in musicals are character roles. When you’re auditioning, these character songs are so much easier to act! Think of the song “Master of the House” from Les Mis; it gives you much more to work with than a typical soprano ballad.
Did we miss anything? What are your favorite musical theater audition songs for altos? Send us a note, and we’ll add them to the list!